Thursday, February 18, 2010

A New Generation

Okay, I have so much to catch you guys up on, so this may be very long.

I left off Wednesday night where we had an amazing time in youth discipleship. We broke up into small groups during that time when one of the youth told me that she really wants to study the Bible with me. Diego had shared a story with the youth when I first got to Nicaragua about me studying the Bible in the car on the way to the airport with my sisters, and I think this struck something in her. So we have been reading in Mark (I finished Mark with my two sisters when I left). We read together every day at 4:00pm, and I have had some amazing time with her. It is hard to truly express what the scripture we are reading truly means to me in my broken Spanish, but I think she understands. I also make it a point everyday to ask her what is important to her in that passage. She always shares with me, and yesterday we even said a prayer together. I am excited to study the word with her, and hopefully with several other girls. I have such a thirst for the word of God, and I desire to see that in the people here.

Thursday night we had church service as normal, and Friday night we have a youth event. This was when the trouble began and I became more aware of some of the struggles these youth have. We went to the park Friday night, and a few of the youth took off without saying anything to us. They also lied to their parents, and said they were with us the whole time. This is not the safest place at night for youth to be off on their own, and the last thing we want is for one of them to get hurt. I learned a lot from the people that have been here for a while of the struggles these kids go through and the sins they are entangled in. I also, started to get a deeper desire to see this generation changed.

Sunday was Valentine’s Day, but it was also Diego’s 2 year anniversary of living here!! It was a special day for sure. We had church service on Sunday night as usual, but we also had a special time set aside to thank Diego for his time here. Several Nicaraguans got up and spoke on what Diego meant to them. Then a slide show of his time here was played. It was also Kelly and Steve’s last night in Candelaria. So, after Steve preached the church all prayed over them and gave them hugs goodbye. They truly loved being here, and I can’t tell you how thankful our team was to have them here. I hope to see them again someday, and I know for sure if I am ever in Northern California I am stopping by.

After church a group of us went to the park. Valentine’s Day here is not only a day to celebrate relationships but a day to celebrate friendship, so we all got dressed up and went to the park. I guess that is how they celebrate Valentine’s Day…kind of seemed like a letdown to me haha.

Monday and Tuesdays are our days off here, so we spent all day Monday in Granada and climbing Mombacho. It was a great day! I loved Granada, and the view from Mombacho was gorgeous. I have some pictures on facebook, but really it doesn’t do it justice. We hiked around one of the small craters, and were reminded just how big God is. We stayed at a place out by the Lagoon that night and all morning Tuesday. The water was so blue there. I got so burnt once again, and everyone in Candelaria likes to call me and all the other gringos “tomato” when we are that red. It is how they show their affection. After dropping Kelly and Steve off at the hotel we finally made it back to our home in Candelaria. It felt so good to be back, and I was definitely ready for the week.

However, I never expected to get what I did on Wednesday night. Diego spoke to the kids on respect, and in return we got a lot of disrespect. I was hurt a little bit, but really I started to become aware through this experience. I started to become aware of how in need these kids are of Jesus Christ. I became aware that so many of them still have not fully encountered the love of Jesus Christ. This hurt me so badly, and I wanted more than ever to show all these kids how loving and how great our God is. I want to share with them what Christ has done for me, and how he has changed my life. I just want to shout it out that He is the best thing that has ever happened to me!!

Thanks to all of you guys for your prayers. I also, want to thank everyone who is helping with the softball equipment. If you have anything to give you can mail it to my parent's house. There is a group coming here in March, and my parents are going to get the equipment to them. Please be praying for our group, and for all of the youth here.

I love you guys and miss all of you guys.

Psalm 40:1-3
1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD
and put their trust in him.

1 comment:

  1. isn't it truly amazing to see what God can do through you to reach that young girl even though you do not speak the same language?

    i am in awe of Him so much!

    ReplyDelete